S&S recommendations?
Chuck C.
2012-06-04 14:19:46 UTC
Hey Pulpsters,
I miss the good old days of Moore, Howard, Leiber, etc., when a
good sword-and-sorcery story took about 30-40 pages. Nowadays it seems
it has to be part of (at least) a three-volume series. At least the
David Gemmell books (the Drenai series, anyway) can be read
separately, but they're still 300+ pages each. I love stories you can
read in one sitting...TOWER OF THE ELEPHANT, BAZAAR OF THE BIZAARE,
etc...
Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for some shorter S&S
stories. Strahan's SWORDS AND DARK MAGIC is an excellent example, I
loved it.Any suggestions?
Hopefully,
CC
Kent Allard
2012-06-04 15:27:00 UTC
Post by Chuck C.
I miss the good old days of Moore, Howard, Leiber, etc., when a
good sword-and-sorcery story took about 30-40 pages. Nowadays it seems
it has to be part of (at least) a three-volume series. At least the
David Gemmell books (the Drenai series, anyway) can be read
separately, but they're still 300+ pages each. I love stories you can
read in one sitting...TOWER OF THE ELEPHANT, BAZAAR OF THE BIZAARE,
etc...
Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for some shorter S&S
stories. Strahan's SWORDS AND DARK MAGIC is an excellent example, I
loved it.Any suggestions?
I remember that Gary Gygax did a series of "Gord the Rogue" books after he left
TSR (Dungeons and Dragons).

I didn't read the whole series, but the "Night Arrant" book had some pretty good
short stories in it. One good one about a drinking game that is more Bar-crawl
than Dungeon Crawl,
Dave
2012-06-06 12:01:53 UTC
You're right; today everything is a 600-page brick marked as volum VII
of the "So-Who-Cares" Decology. One thing I have learned in going
back to the future is that what you thought sucked then likely still
sucks. I could never make it through a Poul Anderson novel back when
I was a total SF phan, and I still can't.

For S&S, at minimum, avoid Lin Carter

Dave
Kent Allard
2012-06-06 13:23:30 UTC
Post by Dave
You're right; today everything is a 600-page brick marked as volum VII
of the "So-Who-Cares" Decology. One thing I have learned in going
back to the future is that what you thought sucked then likely still
sucks. I could never make it through a Poul Anderson novel back when
I was a total SF phan, and I still can't.
For S&S, at minimum, avoid Lin Carter
I never read any of Poul Anderson's S&S books, but I loved the Time Patrol
stories he did.

I can agree on the Lin Carter assessment. I read some of the Thongar books when
I was really young and liked them, but going back and re-reading half of one
made me realize that young-me was an idiot.