Nebel's hardboiled reprints!?
Opry phantom
2014-02-09 20:33:27 UTC
Anybody here reading the Black Mask collections from Cap Shaw's favorite post Hammett writer? I have the "Donohue" hard as nails collecton and want to get the second McBride\Kennedy collection.
Of course I have the older Cardigan Dime Detective stuff.

p.s. Any of the old alt.pulp gang around? Guys like Kent Allard and Doc Hermes?
Doc, I believe shows up on Doc Savage group on YAHOO.

p.p.s. Long time back, I was known as "Lamont Cranston".
Kent Allard
2014-02-10 15:48:45 UTC
Post by Opry phantom
Anybody here reading the Black Mask collections from Cap Shaw's favorite post
Hammett writer? I have the "Donohue" hard as nails collecton and want to get
the second McBride\Kennedy collection.
Of course I have the older Cardigan Dime Detective stuff.
I haven't heard about this collection before. If I had known I would have put it
on my Christmas list (my wife got me all the books on my list this year - if I
had known, I would have asked for more).

We are living in the golden age of reprints.

I'm just starting a Will Murray Doc Savage as I'm getting behind on those. I've
stopped reading Norbert Davis' Doan and Carstairs stories because I just don't
find them as funny as everyone tells me they should be. (I also didn't like 'A
conspiracy of Dunces' so it might just be me).

Doc Hermes is still around, just not that into pulps as he once was.

http://dochermes.livejournal.com/

I'm spending more time online with Yahoo groups because that seems to be where
everyone else has gone.
Dave
2014-02-12 13:17:03 UTC
Truly, this is the Golden Age of Reprints. When this list started, there were hardly any -- Gunnison running one every other month. That's why we wrote fan-fiction in the 90's-- to have something.

Now it's reached the point of not being able to afford to even buy what we want (at least in my case; I want a lot).

If this damn snow ever stops, we're scheduled for a cruise, and I always carry a dozen western paperbacks -- nothing like sitting on the Lido Deck, drinking a beer, and reading a Walt Slade reprint!

Dave in Georgia
Opry phantom
2014-02-12 19:13:47 UTC
Post by Dave
Truly, this is the Golden Age of Reprints. When this list started, there were hardly any -- Gunnison running one every other month. That's why we wrote fan-fiction in the 90's-- to have something.
Now it's reached the point of not being able to afford to even buy what we want (at least in my case; I want a lot).
If this damn snow ever stops, we're scheduled for a cruise, and I always carry a dozen western paperbacks -- nothing like sitting on the Lido Deck, drinking a beer, and reading a Walt Slade reprint!
Dave in Georgia
"Walt Slade"? Sheesh, there's plenty of *real, good pulp tales out there.
Try some early Coburn('Pug Ackley' from WEST) MAVERICKS; early Haycox; T.T. Flynn; Les Savage,(the first three 'Senorita Scorpion' tales are fun; Frank Bonham; W.C.Tuttle...
Look for the Jon Tuska anthologies with stories from LARIAT; BIG BOOK, and STAR WESTERN...
Opry phantom
2014-02-10 19:04:48 UTC