Original Spider pulps-how can I get them valued/sold? Any help gratefully received.
Marcus Unread
2012-06-07 18:58:28 UTC
Hi,
I have a collection of some 80 original US pulps from the 1930s,
comprising mostly Spiders. They've been in my possession for over 30
years now and are in terrific condition for their age. However I now
need to raise cash to make a trip abroad for medical reasons (nothing
serious but still important and fairly costly) so I'd like to find
them a good home. Could anyone out there with more knowledge than me
advise me on their approximate value (ie the Spider ones) given the
representative sample shown here: http://jalbum.net/a/1185717/
..and furthermore how I should best go about getting a fair price for
them? I have been offered $20 per edition by one dealer. Is this a
realistic dealer offer? Again, my thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Neil
Dave
2012-06-08 12:04:08 UTC
To cut to the chase, that's a realistic dealer offer. He takes all of
them at that price; don't let him just cherry-pick the best, because
you'll never sell the rest. Recall the 90/10 rule: 90% of the value
of a collection is in 10% of the items. You might be able to dicker
him up a few more bucks per copy, but maybe not.

Yes, you see SPIDERS going for three figures in catalogs, and 8 grand
is a lot more than $1600. But here's the thing -- chances are the
next edition of that catalog is going to have those same SPIDERS in
it, still not sold. Frankly, you're lucky to have found a dealer to
make you the offer -- there aren't really that many pulp dealers,
period. And there aren't that many collectors out there willing and
able and looking to pay top dollar for top quality -- and when you
find them, it turns out they already have the Novermber, 1935 SPIDER.

A dealer is going to have to list them in his/her catalog, put them on
the web site, run them on eBay, and schlep them around the country to
pulp shows in the back of a van -- for years to come. If he/she is
lucky, they'll realize a good profit -- by the year 2017. No dealer
is going to be paying you anywhere close to retail or auction price,
but unless you want to devote the next five years of your life to
trying to move these at top dollar, take the money and head overseas.

My two cents worth (that's a nickel's worth in Obamanomics)

dave
detective35
2012-07-09 05:14:47 UTC
Post by Marcus Unread
Hi,
I have a collection of some 80 original US pulps from the 1930s,
comprising mostly Spiders. They've been in my possession for over 30
years now and are in terrific condition for their age. However I now
need to raise cash to make a trip abroad for medical reasons (nothing
serious but still important and fairly costly) so I'd like to find
them a good home. Could anyone out there with more knowledge than me
advise me on their approximate value (ie the Spider ones) given the
representative sample shown here: http://jalbum.net/a/1185717/
..and furthermore how I should best go about getting a fair price for
them? I have been offered $20 per edition by one dealer. Is this a
realistic dealer offer? Again, my thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Neil
Hi Neil,

Did you end up selling your spider pulps?

Dwight
***@yahoo.com
306-531-2211
f***@gmail.com
2012-08-08 22:19:55 UTC
Post by detective35
Post by Marcus Unread
[...]
Hi Dwight,
Thanks for your interest. My Pulps are still up for grabs and I've just now posted pictures of them for potential buyers to peruse: http://jalbum.net/a/1215756/. If you've any other queries, please drop me a line on ***@gmail.com.
Cheers,
Neil