Books on Pulp
John Geoffrey
2014-12-28 03:46:10 UTC
Does anyone have some recommendations for good books about pulp
magazines? I seem to have some issues finding good overview works.
I would be especially interested in the early history of Science Fiction
magazines.
rocketbat
One of my favorite "overview" is Danger Is My Business by Lee Server. Aroid in paper and very difficult in hardcover.
ThePulp.Net editor
2014-12-30 15:08:32 UTC
Post by John Geoffrey
Does anyone have some recommendations for good books about pulp
magazines? I seem to have some issues finding good overview works.
I would be especially interested in the early history of Science Fiction
magazines.
For a good SF history, look for Mike Ashley's "The Time Machines: The
Story of the Science-Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950."

It's the first of four books. Book two is "Transformations: The Story of
the Science Fiction Magazines from 1950 to 1970" and book three is
"Gateways to Forever: The Story of the Science-Fiction Magazines from
1970 to 1980." He was working on finishing up the fourth book last
spring, but I haven't heard of a publication date yet.

As for non-SF specific books, you can't go wrong with Don Hutchison's
"The Great Pulp Heroes" (covering the hero pulps) and Ron Goulart's
"Cheap Thrills" (a broader history of the pulps).

- Bill
--
William Lampkin

http://ThePulp.Net
Your link to the online world of the pulps!

Yellowed Perils: Thoughts and Comments on the World of the Pulps
http://www.thepulp.net/yellowedperils/