XENOPHILE (anyone here recall this '70s fanzine?) Editor Nils Hardin
Opry phantom
2014-04-17 16:19:15 UTC
I noticed among the new pulp books, a collection of John Lawrence's, The Marquis of Broadway. This reminded me of a bunch of old Xenophiles I had stashed away. One early issue c.1975 had an intriguing article on this anti hero.

Finding about a dozen back issues, I've been browsing through many traders and seller ads (remember Minter and his P.O. box from Eden North Carolina?)
Then there's the rather amazing Pulp Information Center, with folks exchanging info on writers; stories, etc. There was a fellow, Wm. Clark who seemed to have index lists on many pulp magazines; on a list of White Wolf stories (Hal Dunning)
I spotted a collaboration with "Ward Stevens" on a WILD WEST WEEKLY yarn, "Sonny Tabor Tracks the White Wolf".

A few of the writers are still around, Walker Martin...
Anybody here recall this 'Zine and want to reminisce?
Dave
2014-04-18 12:52:59 UTC
Remember people talking about XENOPHILE as one of the top fanzines.

I remember typing articles as close to the edge of the margin as I could, to get the maximum amount of words onto a page of WINDFALL PROPHET, and using scotch tape for cheesy lay-out illos (like the newspaper ad for A BOY AND HIS DOG), and then walking to the 5 cent a page Xerox place.

Ah, the days before the knternet. Who know that once it was convenient, all the world had phannish tendencies?

Dave
Opry phantom
2014-04-19 04:31:49 UTC
Post by Dave
Remember people talking about XENOPHILE as one of the top fanzines.
I remember typing articles as close to the edge of the margin as I could, to get the maximum amount of words onto a page of WINDFALL PROPHET, and using scotch tape for cheesy lay-out illos (like the newspaper ad for A BOY AND HIS DOG), and then walking to the 5 cent a page Xerox place.
Ah, the days before the knternet. Who know that once it was convenient, all the world had phannish tendencies?
Dave
The old ('70s) gang would be dazzled by the current flood of collections of the Pulp masters of old.

p.s. Theres a thread on YAHOO'S Western Pulps group now on Minter; Hardin etc from Xenophile period...