A LOST U.N.C.L.E. Episode? (And, Ian Fleming!)
Jim Burns
2012-04-13 04:09:16 UTC
Could there possibly be a LOST episode of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.,
guest-starring the 3 Stooges... (that mysteriously began filming in the
spring of 1966)?

("The Mockingbird Affair"...)

Well, you'll see!

;-)

There's also a neat bit of info on the UNCLE film compilations, and a
correction of a very strange bit of info that's been going around, that
Ian Fleming created THE MAN FROM UNCLE...

I love Fleming's writing, as most of you know, but he didn't create the
show!

http://thethunderchild.com/BurnsintheCity/ThreeStoogesUncle.html

Hope your Pesachs and Easters were swell!

Best, Jim
U***@nurgle.org

Best, Jim
Jim Burns
2012-04-17 05:26:30 UTC
Actually, he was just named "Solo..."

But it was one of the--odd!--reasons the Bond producers (and/or United
Artists) objected to the series' original title, SOLO:

And hence Sam Rolfe, and Norman Felton came up with, "The Man From
U.N.C.L.E."!
U***@nurgle.org
2012-04-17 19:10:56 UTC
You're right. All these years I've thought his first name was given
as "Napoleon" but I guess I was remembering rumour rather than fact.
I dug up a copy of "Goldfinger" and he's only referred to as "Mr.
Solo". Shows how long it's been since I read the book. Thanks!

'And Mr Solo of the Unione Siciliano.'
Mr Solo had a dark heavy face, gloomy with the knowledge of much guilt
and many sins. His thick hom-rimmed spectacles helioed briefly in
Bond's direction and then bent again to the business of cleaning Mr
Solo's nails with a pocket knife. He was a big, chunky man, half
boxer, half head waiter, and it was quite impossible to tell what was
on his mind or where his strength lay. But there is only one head of
the Mafia in America and,.if Mr Solo had the job, thought
Bond, he had got it by strength out of terror. It would be by the
exercise of both that he kept it.